Welcome Baby Supports Families During COVID-19 Pandemic
Amanda enrolled in the Providence Holy Cross Welcome Baby Program at her prenatal visit as her delivery date was drawing near. Although she and her husband were excited to soon welcome their first child as new parents, they had heightened health and safety concerns for her and the baby due to the emerging pandemic.
They were nervous when they learned that due to new COVID-19 protection measures, all prenatal classes had been canceled and in-person visits by the Parent Coach were no longer possible. Further, most of their relatives lived out of state or overseas and would not be able to help them due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.
Providence’s Welcome Baby team is committed to provide solid support even as we social distance to stay safe. The team quickly put new protocols in place, and their Parent Coach reached out to Amanda to arrange for virtual visits. These online sessions became invaluable to Amanda and her husband, especially as first-time parents. They are grateful for the support and information they received, and now feel ready to welcome their baby into the world.
Welcome Baby Program
Providence Holy Cross Medical Center provides pregnant women and families with newborns free personalized health and parenting education, home visitation, and support with breastfeeding, home safety, and infant development thanks to a program called Welcome Baby funded by First 5 LA though a $6M grant.
Welcome Baby participants receive:
- An in-hospital visit to receive assistance with breastfeeding and information about bonding and attachment, taking care of baby, and family resources to help the transition into parenthood
- An in-home visit from a Registered Nurse within a few days after birth to assess both the mother and baby, provide postpartum recovery education, and breastfeeding assistance
- In-home appointments with a personal Parent Coach after birth
- Essential items such as thermometers, nursing pillows, toys and home safety supplies
- Information to help families nurture, care, and support the healthy development their baby
- Assistance with health insurance coverage and appointments for their baby
- Breastfeeding and general feeding help from a trained Certified Lactation Educator
- Referrals to additional resources in the neighborhood to support the new family.
Navigating the Cancer Journey
Minutes that make a difference
The heart of the matter
Giving from the heart and home
A life devoted to caring
One of the best ever
A record-breaking event
The best inspires confidence
Together, we can provide care that transforms lives, now and for years to come.